And they’re off!
By admin, posted on May 31st 2007
I’ve started my ridiculous escapade of getting the Brookmeyer version of projectGenie live by my birthday on the 14th of June. I’ve already made a few decisions to limit the amount of huge under-the-cover redevelopment I’ll have to do (basically the templating system will be staying much the same) and now is the time to set out my stall for exactly what features will be added/removed.
In a nutshell:
- The main screen (can I call it the Dashboard? Not really…) will be redesigned, with the five or six current sections being replaced by three. The main one will show all notes to all projects that you have access to, with some options to filter them. Much better.
- Clean URLs for people who can use them. That will be configurable by the configuration options.
- And speaking of configuration options, I’ll be cleaning that up quite a lot. Basically there will be a standard set of configuration options, and a much more comprehensive advanced set of options.
- There will be redesigns for most of the screens, especially the client, contact and project screen.
- I’ll add some simple reports to help you manage projects.
- The help section will be updated and rewritten.
Seeing as I’m not sure I’ll have time to do even that little lot, there is only a very slim chance of any of this next list happening, but we live in hope.
- Simple financial management for projects: a total amount for different phases of each project, then details of any (possibly multiple) payments until the fee has been paid.
- Simple time management showing some kind of on-screen timer. This would be per-task.
- Start date and end date for tasks, allowing a simple Gantt chart to be shown.
There will be more information about my progress (or lack of it) over the next couple of weeks.