Don’t cross the streams
By admin, posted on Feb 7th 2009
Over the Christmas period I had the chance to work on Brookmeyer – the new version of projectGenie – quite a lot, so the bulk of the system framework is now working. I’ve just started to write the first template files (Brookmeyer will support themes/templates in the same way WordPress does). I’m then going to tie the front and back-ends together using the template tag API. So far, so WordPress. I’m still trying to work out how to make plugins work, so no news on that yet.
However things haven’t stood still for Anderson, the currently available version of projectGenie. I’m in the process of adding a few new features which will soon be available in the demo and in the downloadable system. In a nutshell:
- Small screen/mobile-phone friendly theme called MobileGreenie
- Ability to select the theme you want to use for a session when logging in (useful when on a mobile device, of course)
- When changing the theme for yourself, the theme is applied immediately (yes, this one bugged me)
- When uploading an MP3 file a Flash player (using fantastic technology from Jeroen Wijering) now appears so you can play the file online (a band I play in now use this feature to share cool tracks, recordings and ideas for songs we could cover)
- More configuration options to hide or show milestones, bugs and memos on the homepage
However there are still a couple of things I want to do with Anderson yet. Most importantly is get an upload progress indicator when attaching files to notes. This will use SWFUpload, I just need to iron a few problems out. I also want to add the ability for administrators to easily move notes to other tasks of they are in the wrong place.
Once I’ve got those two things sorted I’ll do some testing and get the new version of Anderson uploaded. I’ll also have a list of the modified files so those of you with existing installs don’t have to overwrite everything – just the stuff that’s changed.