Moving forward, Open Source-ward
By admin, posted on Apr 14th 2008
OK, cards on the table time. I have very little time with which to work on projectGenie, although I have many ideas I’d like to see happen. While I’ve made some progress with the next version of ‘Genie (“Brookmeyer”) it’s not happening fast enough. I think there’s a market, if that’s the right word, for a system like projectGenie so I’m going to be making it an open source project.
However even that isn’t a two-minute job. I haven’t decided on which project hosting system to use (any recommendations between SourceForge and Google?) although Jon has been extremely helpful. And before it’s opened I’d like to get a framework ready so that developers can build easily on top.
In a nutshell here’s what I want for ‘Genie:
- Clean HTML
- Multiple themes, selectable from thumbnails (like WordPress)
- Mobile phone version (just task lists, comments and ability to reply)
- Simple time management, with tape-recorder “record, pause, stop” buttons
- Better document management, including page of thumbnails for all images attached to a task/project
- Simple financial management, including ability to set a price for a task/project and record multiple payments against that price
- Plugin system (a bit like WordPress) so developers can add items to menus to run plugin pages (for reports etc)
- Better configuration and user settings management, storing everything in the database
Plus a lot of cleaning up of the interface so projectGenie is even easier to use. It’s a lot to ask, but I hope by opening the source to the good citizens of the web we’ll be able to make something really good and useful for us all.